This hardy perennial plant has pointed, slightly crinkled leaves that are a lighter shade of green than peppermint. The whole plant has a sweet characteristic smell. The stems should be small and slender, with a distinctive, refreshing aroma and a tingly taste once you bite it, followed by a small sugar rush. This herb is great for mixing drinks, adding to sauces and any other food where a dash of sweetness is needed.
How to Store
– Store in the coldest area of the walk-in cooler. Kitchen heat will cause yellowing and wilting, with moisture releasing almost immediately.
– Store in the original container and in the original sealed plastic bag to protect. Do not stack heavy objects on top of cases or allow crushing.
– Keep exposed product away from drafts from the cooler fan. This herb is highly susceptible to dehydration damage.
– This herb is also susceptible to ethylene damage. Store unprotected product away from ethylene-producing fruits where possible. Ethylene damage will appear as yellowing.
– Follow good rotation practices, first shipments received should be used first.
– This herb has an expected shelf life of 3-4 days.
– Avoid placing the case or raw product on non-sanitized kitchen counter tops to help prevent the potential for cross-contamination.
– Limit the time the product is out of refrigeration, do not allow the unused product to reach room temperature.
– Prepare as needed. Try not to use the product from the previous day.
– This herb is washed. However, it will benefit from a quick rinse prior to preparation.
– Store prepped product immediately into refrigeration (covered) upon completion of the prep.