Bay leaves are a great option in any vegetarian diet, a healthy choice that’s versatile that can be had fresh or dried for a healthy snack. The bay leaf is oval, pointed and smooth; when fresh, the leaves are shiny and dark green on top with lighter undersides. When dried, the bay leaf is a matte olive green.
How to Store
– Store immediately, covered in a sealed container, in the warmest part of the walk-in cooler. Chilling injury can occur (blackening, shriveling and wilting) from storing unprotected herbs past 3 days in the walk-in.
– Store in the original sealed bag away from drafts from the cooler fan. This herb is susceptible to dehydration.
– For maximum shelf life & quality. Keep in a sealed lexan or thick plastic container in the warmest area of the cooler.
– Follow good rotation practices, first shipments received should be used first.
– Handle carefully. Do not crush! The herb will bruise.
– This herb has an expected short shelf life (2-3 days). Plan to purchase frequently to maintain quality.
– Prep fresh daily as needed. Try not to carry over-prepped raw product from the previous day.
– Avoid placing the case or raw product on non-sanitized kitchen counter tops to help prevent the potential for cross contamination.
– Wash thoroughly; this herb is generally field-packed and not pre-washed.
– Remove or cut away any decayed leaves before prep.
– Store prepared product in the refrigerator.