Watermelons are the perfect treat to combat the summer heat; there’s no thirst a cold slice of watermelon can’t quench! Watermelons are identified from their elongated shape and emerald green skin with stripes of yellow to pale green all across its skin. Watermelons can grow quite large, averaging between 18-26 lbs. The flesh should be a firm, deep, crimson red and sweet. They’re the perfect snack for your kids during playdates or birthday parties.
How to Store
– Store immediately covered or protected in the warmest part of the walk-in cooler. Melons are very susceptible to damage from too cold environments. Chill damage will cause the flesh to become soft and mealy.
– Store exposed product away from drafts from the cooler fan. Always keep melons in a protected environment.
– Melons are ethylene producers. Store away from vegetables that are ethylene sensitive.
– Do not stack product on top of the cases or cause the melons to be crushed.
– Remove any melons with damage or that begin to mold immediately.
– Follow good rotation practices, first shipments received should be used first.
– Avoid dropping the case or rough handling.
– Melons have an expected shelf life of 5-6 days. Plan to rotate frequently to maintain maximum quality.
– Avoid placing melons on non-sanitized kitchen counter tops to help prevent the potential for cross contamination. Always use sanitized, sharp knives to prep.
– Try to use the entire melon in the prep process. Refrain from storing partially used melons.
– Store prepared product in the refrigerator.