Green grapes are one of the most popular fruits in the world, a status and fashion symbol for decades. Grapes are also popular for special occasions such as weddings, graduations, and New Year’s Eve celebrations. Green grapes showcase a natural, light green color and have a distinctive conical shape. The calyx should be intact, fresh and bright green. The berries should be firm, dry and evenly color green with minimal bruising. Large green grapes will have a count of 18-22 berries to the pint.
How to Store
– Store immediately in the coldest part of the walk-in cooler. Grapes are very susceptible to damage from the heat of the kitchen. Temperature fluctuations will cause the growth of mold to accelerate.
– Store exposed product away from drafts from the cooler fan. Always keep in the original cartons or the original bags. Exposed grapes will shrivel and rapidly dehydrate.
– Do not stack product on top of the cases or cause the clamshells to be crushed.
– Remove any grapes with damage or that begin to mold immediately.
– Follow good rotation practices, first shipments received should be used first.
– Fresh grapes have an expected shelf life of 3-4 days. Plan to rotate frequently to maintain maximum quality.
– Avoid placing grapes on non-sanitized kitchen counter tops to help prevent the potential for cross contamination.
– Always limit the time the product is out of refrigeration.
– Prepare as needed. Try not to use the product from the previous day.
– Give green grapes a quick cold water rinse in a sanitary colander and drain well prior to usage.
– Store prepared product in the refrigerator.