Most varieties of pears are similar in appearance; however, Bosc variety pears are noteworthy by their peculiar size and distinct pear flavor. This fruit can be identified by its long slender neck and its gusseted yellow skin with a distinctive, juicy flavor that’s sweet to the taste and a crisp texture. In California, Bosc pears are grown in season from August through October; out of Washington, regular pears will be available from September- April. For the rest of the season, we carry Controlled Atmosphere (CA) pears to keep stock all year round.
How to Store
– Store immediately in the coldest part of the walk-in cooler (lower shelf and farthest away from the entry door).
– This fruit is very susceptible to damage from the heat of the kitchen. Warm temperatures will cause the texture of the flesh to be mealy and soft.
– Store exposed product away from drafts from the cooler fan. Always keep in the original cartons or the original bags. Exposed fruits will shrivel and rapidly dehydrate.
– Do not stack product on top of the cases or cause the apples to be crushed.
– Remove any fruits with decay, damage or those that begin to mold immediately.
– Follow good rotation practices, first shipments received should be used first.
– Fresh apples have an expected shelf life of 6-7 days. Plan to rotate frequently to maintain maximum quality.
– Prepare as needed. Try not to use the product from the previous day.
– Avoid placing apples on non-sanitized kitchen counter tops to help prevent the potential for cross contamination.
– Always limit the time the product is out of refrigeration.
– Give apples a quick cold water rinse in a sanitary colander and drain well immediately prior to usage.
There are no reviews yet.